Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Homesick

Having been back in Perth for a month now, I constantly have people asking me if it's great to be back home. Well, in some ways it is - especially to see family and friends (the latter of which are yet to catch up with me, because everyone has settled into their own life routines that hardly match mine). In another way though, it isn't. I am homesick for a place that wasn't home to begin with - given the time spent in Perth (26 years) to Melbourne (2 years).

How can that be? Has anyone else experienced the same dilemma? It's not like when you go on a holiday and think the destination is a lovely place you wish you could spend more time in, but on greater reflection know the rainbow-glasses will crack after a few weeks. This is falling in love with a place because you've been thrust right into the middle of it, absorbed its culture and found that's the one that compliments your way of life - a perfect match, the wholeness to the emptiness I always felt in Perth that led me to constantly complain about its foibles.

Don't get me wrong, Perthians. This is a beautiful place... To raise kids and retire. Between those two periods in life though, I have yet to find avenues to engage me. But that's what I have to do, because there's no going back to Melbourne for a while. So what's the next step?

I guess it's like an arranged marriage (sorry for the terrible analogy) - you have to grow to love the one you're with. And I'll try, for now...but boy do I miss Melbourne.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Ranting is a good release.

- CRAIG.

No comments: