Thursday, September 4, 2008

A fleeting glimpse of Melbourne

Well, my time in Melbourne came and went much too fast. Unfortunately I had to leave on the Wednesday before the crime writing awards and panels began, and before the AHWA had a launch of sorts. Damn, I looked at all the previous years of the Melbourne Writers Festival and planned the trip to suit the best panels, but this year the program was shaken up a bit.

I can't complain though - I had a ball; a writer's dream; a book-lover's paradise. I met and shook hands with John Marsden (who said my copy of his brand-new Hamlet novel was the first one he had signed), Tim Winton, and Max Barry, to name a few. Great to see Mr. Winton win the Age Fiction Book of the Year award for 'Breath' - I can't wait to peruse that as soon as possible. And thanks Max, for the short conversation and inspiring comments at your signing ("only a matter of time...").

And for the friends I met in Melbourne (and the familiar haunts from when I was living there), great to see you again.

Now it's back to reality. I had thought I would have completed a bulk of my Uni work, but alas, I was naive. And I have several reviews to finally write and post, a small pile of books to read for review, editing of my novel, writing, writing and .... BAM! I blew up just thinking about it.

To be honest, I'm just relaxing with my family for a while. It feels good.

Peace out.
- Craig

No comments: