Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ringing the Bell of Change

Hi all,

Tomorrow, Term 4 of school starts in WA. Which means my daughter will no longer be tearing up the carpet, chasing the dogs maniacally and asking for more, more, more lollies, ice cream, etc. (I kid, she is an angel 70% of the time). Which means the house will be rather quiet. That, for the most part, is a good thing - for my writing, at least. During the past 2 weeks I have typed up the first draft of my YA paranormal adventure novel. This was written a while ago now, so it's good to return to the story. The first draft clocked in at roughly 28 000 words, which is great - this means I have room to play around with. It was the first time I have written something by just sticking to the bare bones of a racing plot. Usually I am having to hack out scene after scene that I loved but just isn't relevant. This time I get to add certain details I missed, hopefully without impacting the overall story. Then it will be time to get it out there for reading, more editing, and so on...

Looking at my posts, it's been a while. Well, that's because...DRUM ROLL... I worked my a** off and I have now completed my teaching degree. That's right, the University confirmation is through - I am a qualified primary school teacher (K-7)! After 6 years (4 of the course, cut in the middle by 2 years in Melbourne for my wife's work, where I was full-time dad), that means a hell of a lot to me. How does that impact my writing? Not much for now, honestly. I will be trying to get relief work as I wait for a permanent position, and my writing will typically be undertaken in the shadowy hours of the night, and/or during the day when I have no work.

My Eclecticism E-zine's second anniversary issue (#9) was a huge success. Two of its contributors have gone on to win BIG prizes - Joseph D'Lacey grabbed the British Fantasy Society's Best Newcomer Award, and Jason Fischer won the L.Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future Contest (second quarter 2009). Well done to those two very talented writers! Issue #10 of Eclecticism E-zine is coming along smoothly, with most acceptances and rejections going out in the next 2 days.

I'll keep you posted on more writing developments as they happen - hopefully more often, now.

Cheers,
Craig Bezant

No comments: